Faculteit Mens en Welzijn

Campus Schoonmeersen
Valentin Vaerwyckweg 1 (auto, post)
Voskenslaan 270
9000 Gent
  +32 (0)9 243 26 29

Faculteit Natuur en Techniek

Campus Schoonmeersen
Valentin Vaerwyckweg 1 (auto, post)
Voskenslaan 270 (voetgangers, openbaar vervoer)
9000 Gent
  +32 (0)9 243 27 00

Faculteit Bedrijf en Organisatie

Campus Schoonmeersen
Valentin Vaerwyckweg 1 (auto, post)
Voskenslaan 270
9000 Gent
  +32 (0)9 243 22 00

School of Arts

Campus Bijloke
J. Kluyskensstraat 2
9000 Gent
  +32 (0)9 267 01 00


Being well insured will contribute to the success of your stay and will make it as comfortable as possible for you, also in case something happens to you, like getting ill or having a bike accident.

What kind of insurances do I need?

All foreign students, from European as well as from other countries, must have a health insurance and show a proof of insurance at the beginning of their studies. The exact requirements depend on your country of origin. Via your enrolment as a student at University College Ghent, you are automatically insured for the risk of accidents within the domain of the university college and during all school activities. However, you have to be insured for risks outside the university college as well. A list of insurance companies can be given upon request.

A third party liability insurance, also called 'family insurance', covers you in case you cause damage to others. Your enrolment automatically insures you against risks within the domain of University College Ghent. To insure you for risks outside the university college, there is the possibility to subscribe to an insurance policy for third party liability for all foreign students, which costs 3,08 EUR per month. However, you are not obliged to subscribe to this policy. You may look for an insurance company yourself as well.

EU students

EU-students are required to bring their own (blue) EU Health Insurance Card with them when coming to Ghent. EU-students need to use this card when having medical consults (e.g. doctor and dentist visits). For other costs not covered by the own EU insurance, EU-students can use the insurance of University College Ghent.

Non-EU students

Non-EU students can fully make use of the insurance policy of University College Ghent. More information on this insurance policy can be found under the heading "Insurance policy University College Ghent".

Insurance policy University College Ghent

University College Ghent has a general travel assistance and insurance policy which extends to all exchange students registered at University College Ghent for course-related activities. Consequently, all incoming exchange students are insured by University College Ghent.

On 17 June 2010 the Executive Board decided to take out a general travel assistance and insurance policy which extends to all staff members and students travelling abroad on any University College Ghent course-related or work-related activity. By extension this policy also extends to students and staff members of foreign nationality registered at University College Ghent for work or course-related activities and to external members of the executive organs and external persons acting as supervisors on study trips.

The travel assistance and insurance policy is applicable to:

  • assistance to persons during trips abroad
  • reimbursement of medical expenses
  • an allowance in the event of permanent invalidity
  • luggage
  • property insurance for personal belongings in case of long-term stay
  • hirer’s liability for non-permanent residences
  • civil liability in private life

More information on general conditions: document

Specific equipment insurance

Incoming students studying at the School of Arts need to have their own insurance for the equipment they bring along such as music instruments, camera material, … In absence of such an insurance the University College Ghent cannot be held liable in case of damage, loss or theft of your equipment. We advise you to check out this insurance before departure to Ghent.