Qualification of Chemistry
Academic year: 2019-20
Field of Study: Applied Engineering & Technology
Study load: 180
The aim of this study programme is to train students to gain a bachelor of chemistry (specialisations biochemistry, environmental care or chemistry) and who, as fledging chemists, are able to implement their acquired basic skills in a critical manner in a dynamic work environment in the ever-changing chemical sector. More specifically, the study programme is geared to carrying out the following roles in the chemical industry: laboratory scientist (analyst), research assistant, process or production assistant, technical commercial assistant and specifically for environmental care: environmental officer, environmental scientist and environmental coordinator.
1. GENERAL PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCES:
1. Graduates with a bachelor of biochemistry-chemistry-environmental care must have the necessary social skills to carry out their task with due care:
a) team-focused: they can work well with colleagues and customers in a professional and result-focused manner;
b) flexible: they are able to adapt to suit the intended result, should the situation so require;
c) stress-resistant: they can handle task-related stress situations;
d) ability to put things into perspective: they can put situations into perspective.
2. Graduates with a bachelor of biochemistry-chemistry-environmental care are able to work independently and have the necessary skills to carry out their tasks with due care:
a) they are able to work quickly, accurately and in an orderly manner;
b) they can plan and organise their tasks effectively and efficiently;
c) they display a high level of creativity, initiative and responsibility in their professional conduct.
3. Graduates with a bachelor of biochemistry-chemistry-environmental care are able to express themselves correctly, both orally and in writing, in various languages (Dutch, French, English).
4. Graduates with a bachelor of biochemistry-chemistry-environmental care have an inquisitive mind and have adopted a lifelong learning attitude.
5. Graduates with a bachelor of biochemistry-chemistry-environmental care must have the necessary skills to carry out their tasks with due care:
a) acquiring and processing information
b) taking on a project-based approach;
c) a critical attitude;
d) powers to think and reason logically;
e) decision-making powers;
f) being responsible for one´s actions;
g) managerial skills.
2. SPECIFIC PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCES
Graduates with a bachelor of chemistry (all specialisations) are capable of:
* thinking in an analytical and problem-solving manner;
* adequately applying communication (oral and written) and social skills;
* giving evidence of a quality, safety and environmental awareness;
* working methodically and in an organised manner;
* setting up analysis procedures for very varied analyses/examinations and carrying them out safely;
* adequately assessing the quality and results of the analyses;
* in the framework of fundamental or applied project-based research, adequately collecting and processing measuring data and research results;
* mastering and checking, in the capacity of operator, highly technological production processes, or parts thereof, and helping improve the way processes run;
* in a commercial team, helping in the promotion, presentation, prospecting, documentation, marketing, sale and launch of technological products, services and appliances and providing advice on the same;
* implementing and following up quotes, orders, deliveries and technical services, and supporting customers, and are capable of helping out in warehouse management and the organisation thereof;
* applying the specific professional competences linked to the relevant specialisations.
A Bachelor (Ba) of Chemistry can, after the successful completion of a bridging program (between 45 and 90 credits), gain access to the following Master Programs:
- Master of Science in Biochemistry and Biotechnology
- Master of Science in Bioscience Engineering Technology in Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences
- Master of Science in Bioscience Engineering Technology in Food Sciences
- Master of Science in Communication Science: Communication Management
- Master of Science in Communication Science: Film- and Television Studies
- Master of Science in Communication Science: Journalism
- Master of Science in Communication Science: New Media and Society
- Master of Science in de biochemie en de biotechnologie
- Master of Science in de communicatiewetenschappen: film- en televisiestudies
- Master of Science in Engineering Technology in Biochemical Sciences
- Master of Science in Engineering Technology in Chemical Sciences
- Master of Science in Engineering Technology: Environmental Sciences
- Master of Science in EU-Studies
- Master of Science in Political Science
- Master of Science in Sociology
- Master of Science of Environmental Science